Friday, February 15, 2013

'Whispers in Autumn' by Trisha Leigh

'Whispers in Autumn' is the first of four books that are part of Trisha Leigh's The Last Year series. The finale, 'Summer Ruins', debuts a mere four days from now (on 2/19), so I felt it was the perfect time to get involved. If I liked it than I wouldn't have an excruciating years wait between titles (I'm looking straight at you Cassandra Clare). If I didn't, well, no harm no foul.

So, will I be reading onward into 'Winter Omens'?
More than likely.

The characters are well-drawn and developed and the story line is intriguingly unique. Then there's the issue of the cliff-hanger ending which just about shoved me into the next installment. More importantly, while 'Whispers in Autumn' is firmly planted in the Young Adult category of literature, Trisha Leigh does a great job of surfacing some fairly complicated messages without over complicating the plot.

The Bottom Line: This book with its quirky, teenaged protagonist isn't for everyone - but if you're looking to sink your teeth into a new YA science fiction series with a dystopian twist, this one's for you. Fans of Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone books, or the Divergent series by Veronica Roth would be an especially good fit.

Love what you see here? Subscribe here or keep in the know by following me on Twitter @TheJessle.

No comments:

Post a Comment