Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January Resolutions & Waiting List

Before I get started with today's post I need to apologize to each one of you. It's been over two weeks and not even a whisper has been posted. I assure you that I've been reading just as much as usual - I've just been too busy/hectic/unfocused over the holidays to get my butt in gear get back to the reviews. But that changes today with number one on my short list of New Year's resolutions: Write more!

This year I resolve to put up at least one post & write at least another 1,000 words towards my novel each week. It's lofty, but attainable - so I'm confident that it can happen.

And what better way to get started than to outline the next month of reviews? In the hopper for January we've got:
  • 'The Accidental Time Machine' by Joe Haldeman: I read 'The Forever War' a few years ago. To be honest it wasn't my favorite book ever - but it had won itself a pretty hefty number of awards and even though I'd probably only give it a yellow light, it was worth the read and definitely had substantial literary merit. That said, I look forward to sinking my teeth into this one which promises to be another thought provoking time-travel fiction.
  • 'Gods of Men' (Children of the Apocalypse) by Joseph Pignataro: This one will be my first ever graphic novel experience. Now that I have a brand new Fire HD (thanks to the wondrous spirit of Christmas giving), I feel like I don't have an excuse to leave this genre behind any longer. Expect this review and more like it in the months' to come.
  • 'Flat-Out Love' by Jessica Park: Not sure about this one, and I know virtually nothing about it (besides the fact that the cover reminds me of some 1960's cartooning) but it's my book clubs read this month so, it makes the cut.
  • 'Dead Beat: A Novel of The Dresden Files' by Jim Butcher: Because everyone should be reading this series and I'm shamefully behind.
Lastly, I'll be introducing a new monthly segment to the blog with a focus on bridal books and resources. I know it's a bit of a weird segment - given my proclivity to science fiction novels and usual romantic fantasy focus - but when a girl gets engaged over the Christmas Holiday it only makes sense. Yes, you read that correctly, I'm now suffering from wedding-itis. As such, I'm going to abuse my power and make you all suffer the planning process with me. I'll be kicking off the bridal segment (with a name to be determined) with:
  • 'Bridal Bargains' by Denise & Alan Fields
All right everyone - see you soon and I truly hope you had a wonderful holiday season and happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Jessica!

    And best of luck with your resolution. Mine is along the same lines but by the end of the year if I uphold it then the first draft of my book will be written. *Fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Ria!

      Thanks - and good luck to you as well. Hopefully we can both pull it together and trade drafts this December! :-D

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this!!

    I've nominated your blog for the Liebster Award! http://christinabookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Why thank you Christina - now how does this work?

      Delete
    2. Oh never mind - I just didn't read far enough down in your original post. Looks like I have some questions to answer... :-D

      Delete